Church of St. Anthony
Famagusta, Church of St. Anthony
[+ Upload Images ]
The scant remains of a church built alongside the sea wall of the city east of the Latin cathedral were identified by Enlart as the Church of St. Anthony, based on a label in Gibellino's engraving of 1571 and the possibility that it belonged to the hospital of St. Anthony mentioned by Cavaliere Desimoni.1 Given its decorative details, Enlart dated the church to 1360, but, more recently, Plagnieux and Soulard offered a date of 1302, based on their analysis.2
From the remains, it is clear that the church was roughly square in plan, divided into a Greek cross. An additional bay on the west end was most likely a narthex.
- Rory O'Neill, Oct 15, 2014
The vaulting appears to have been ribbed, with springpoints exceedingly close to the ground. Although not enough of the fabric remains to ascertain the profile of the vault arches, since the windows and doors have pointed profiles, this Gothic motif was probably carried on through the vaults themselves. Enlart reconstructs the central bay, which is taller than the corner bays, as having been covered with a dome.1
Considering the proximity to the sea wall, the destruction of the church and hospital was most likely due to the Ottoman naval invasion of 1571. If left only to earthquakes, the building would have stood a good chance of survival, due to its centralized plan, thick walls, small windows and diminutive dimensions.