--
Famagusta
St. Clare (?)
Famagusta, St. Clare (?)
ca. 14th century
All Images
[+ Upload Images ]
Description
The ruins of a small, two-bayed chapel with a three-sided apse lie at the northeast corner of the city. Enlart identifies the church as belonging to the convent of St. Clare.1 The single-vessel nave is 12.5 x 7.5 meters. The only buttressing appears to have been on either end of the western wall in the form of angles that extend half a meter. Based on fragments Enlart found in the debris, he estimated the church to have been built in the 14th century.2 The ruins offer no indication of what the form of the vaulting was. 
  1. Enlart, Gothic Art, p. 293.

  2. Ibid. p. 294.

Bibliography
Enlart, Camille, Hunt, David, Gothic art and the Renaissance in Cyprus, London, (1987 (1899)), 293-294