--
AM.1434.14
Lintel, South Wall Portal
Attributes
The lintel that was originally over the south wall portal is missing, as are the tympanum blocks that would have been above the lintel. The hood molding in the archway is in relatively good shape, indicating that the lintel and tympanum blocks were removed intentionally and rather carefully.
AM.1434.57
Lintel, Frontispiece Center Portal
Attributes
The central portal of the frontispiece differs from the other three portals in the building in that it has no corbels or capitals. Instead, the jamb moldings continue to become the torus moldings of the portal arch.1 It is not clear whether a lintel existed here, however, it is likely, since the fragment of rubble wall behind the arch opening indicates that there was probably a tympanum. 
  1. Enlart said that this lintel was made of marble. Enlart, 1898, p.3

AM.1434.58
Lintel, Frontispiece, South Portal
Attributes
Although this lintel has been removed, a marble fragment remains, indicating a more expensive material was used than that found elsewhere in the church.
AM.1434.59
Lintel, Frontispiece, North Portal
Attributes
The right side of the portal is in a ruined state, perhaps destroyed by cannon blasts during the Ottoman siege of 1571. Enough of the left side remains to indicate there was a lintel in place here. As with the other two portals, the lintel was unsculpted and was relieved of its supporting duties by the shallow pointed arch directly behind.
AM.1434.60
Lintel, Bema, Chamber Door
Attributes
This lintel, in the doorway to a small chamber between the prothesis and the bema, is of type D. The gap between the lintel and the ashlar blocks above is pronounced and extends several inches beyond the edge of the corbels below the lintel. The greater liturgical significance of this doorway, compared to two other similarly sized doorways, would have warranted such extra seismic protection.
AM.1434.64
Lintel, South Wall, Door West
Attributes
AM.1434.651
Lintel, Southeast Door
Attributes
AM.1434.65
Lintel, South Wall, Door North
Attributes
The lintel spanning the door leading from the diaconicon to the exterior (since filled in) is type A. It is not supported by corbels, and the stone wall above is directly supported. (Fig. 1)A large crack in the center of the lintel is beneath the middle of a block above and is part of a large cram that runs up the wall.  
AM.1434.66
Lintel, Diaconicon, Small Chamber Door
Attributes
AM.1434.137
Capital 4
Attributes
No attributes currently.
AM.1434.15
Capital, South Wall
Attributes
No attributes currently.
AM.1434.16
Capital, South Apse
Attributes
No attributes currently.
AM.1434.18
Capital, Main Apse, Northeast
Attributes
No attributes currently.
AM.1434.1
Capital, Main Apse
Attributes
No attributes currently.
Some note about this capital
AM.1434.20
Arch,  South Portal of Frontispiece
Attributes
No attributes currently.
The damage to this portal makes it unclear whether this pointed arch was the only structure supporting the wall above the opening or not. If the structure were similar to that of Unidentified Church 18, then there would have been a lintel supporting only the tympana blocks, while the arch, in combination with the exterior arch, supported the wall above. 
AM.1434.41
Boss
Attributes
No attributes currently.
Famagusta
Cathedral of St. George of the Greeks
Famagusta, Cathedral of St. George of the Greeks
ca. 1360
All Images
[+ Upload Images ]
Description
Built on the edge of the Greek quarter and directly south of the Latin cathedral of Famagusta, the Greek cathedral of St. George was built in a Latin style, with hood moldings over the windows, pointed arches and vaults, and flying buttresses. The attribution to St. George is based on Gibellino's drawing of 1571, which identifies it as "S. Giorgio, duomo dei Greci."1 Cannonballs still embedded in the western wall attest to the heavy damage the building endured during the Ottoman siege in 1571.  Enlart dates the building as being contemporaneous with nearby SS. Peter and Paul (18), which was known to have been built between 1360 and 1370.2 
  1. Enlart, Gothic Art, p. 254

  2. Ibid. p. 254.

Plan
The ruins of St. George of the Greeks that we see today are those of a three-aisled, five-bay basilica. Each aisle terminates in a semicircular apse, covered with steeply pointed semi-domes. The central apse has three narrow windows in both the first and second stories. Each aisle is entered from one of three doors in the western wall. 
Elevation
The two-story elevation of St. George of the Greeks was covered by pointed quadrapartite rib vaults that reach an apex at 17.47 meters. The main vault was supported by simple flying buttresses springing from square buttresses that did not protrude from the side walls. The flyers came into contact with the upper part of the wall rather than supporting the main vault at the haunches. Only one flyer is still in situ on the northeast end of the church. The bottom arch block of this flyer is missing, as it was in Enlart's sketch. During repairs in 1934, the flyer was reinforced.1 The windows in the side aisles are relatively small for the late date of the church, spanning perhaps one-quarter of the bay width. 
  1. RDAC, 1934, p. 2.

Lintels
The three portals on the western frontispiece and the portal in the south wall show evidence that lintels originally spanned each. There are slots on either side of the doorways just at the level of the colonnette capitals. It appears that all four of these lintels, along with the tympana that they supported, were deliberately removed rather than destroyed during the Ottoman bombardment that caused the partial collapse of the ashlar revetment, as evidenced by a few cannonballs embedded in the surface. Other than the north portal of the western frontispiece, the surrounding arch ribs that framed the lintels and tympana are intact.
The remaining structure of the portal spans are pointed arches that appear to support the main bulk of the frontispiece. This arrangement can be seen intact in the two portals of Unidentified Church 18 (no. 26). This would seem to be an interesting solution for portal structure that is only observable in Famagusta. 
Smaller lintels still visible in the ruins of the church vary in type. The lintels spanning the doorways to two small chambers, one between the bema and the prothesis, and another in the diaconicon, both feature a clear use of a gap separating uncarved monolithic lintels and the ashlar blocks above. It should be noted that the use of this gap accompanies two important ceremonial doors, while two other small and less important doorways in the south and north apse walls are simple lintels, supporting their wall sections and showing cracks.

Accretion of Structure
The ruined state of the round arcade piers reveals an unusual arrangement of an inner core with a diameter of approximately 1.6 meters  surrounded by an outer concentric shell of curved ashlar blocks that increases the diameter to 2.5 meters.(Fig. 1) In  several of the piers,(Fig. 1) the base of the inner core is visible, revealing a molding profile covered up by the outer shell.(Fig. 1) The diameter of the inner core matches the diameter of the half-round columns engaged with the western wall, as well as those on the east end engaged with the wall that divides the semicircular apses. 
Although there is no documentary evidence available or former observations of this accretion of structure in modern scholarship, on the basis of the covered base molding and the engaged diameters, we can conclude that an initial design diameter was at some point deemed to be structurally inadequate and needed to be shored up with the addition of greater mass. 
Seismic Notes
The aisle vaults were extremely pointed, delivering their load more directly to the ground. The main vault was also quite pointed.
Bibliography
Enlart, Camille, Hunt, David, Gothic art and the Renaissance in Cyprus, London, (1987 (1899)), 253-8
Jeffery, George, A description of the historic monuments of Cyprus: Studies in the archaeology and architecture of the island, Nicosia, (1935), 11
Jeffery, George, Famagusta, London, (1908)
Norris, Sven J, Walsh, Michael JK, Kaffenberger, Thomas A, "Visualising Famagusta: interdisciplinary approaches to the study of the Orthodox Cathedral of Saint George of the Greeks in Famagusta, Cyprus", Archives and Manuscripts, (2014), 48-60
Stewart, Charles Anthony, "The First Vaulted Churches in Cyprus", , (), [@jstor]
Vaivre, Jean-Bernard de, Plagnieux, Philippe, L'art gothique en Chypre, , ((2009): 77)
Walsh, Michael J. K, "‘On of the Princypalle Havenes of the See’: The Port of Famagusta and the Ship Graffiti in the Church of St George of the Greeks, Cyprus", The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, (2008), 115-129 , edit pages